Thursday, May 17, 2012

Diablo 3 Offline?

Diablo 3 is a great, great game. I am especially impressed with the ability system and its astounding depth (I'll try to talk more about this in a later post).

However it is mind-boggling (for me anyhow) that there is no offline mode for the game. I understand fully the always-online restriction, as it is needed to prevent rampant cheating. And believe me, if people can cheat they will! But it such a hassle for those players playing solo who are knocked off when the sever goes down or their internet connection hiccups.

Looking at it from another point-of-view, the dollars and cents POV, it makes sense. Even players who play strictly solo can still purchase items from the auction house, and the auction house is the long tail revenue plan for Blizzard. A pretty good plan at that (again, from a strictly dollars and cents POV).

Still, it *sucks* to get knocked offline during my single player game!


No comments:

Post a Comment